How to use this easy piano keyboard?
Learn piano notes
This piano is used to display the name of notes on the various keys. If you have never played a piano, you can learn to find the name of the notes, and practice playing short and simple songs.
To see the notes C, D, E, F, G, A and B click on the button “English notation“, to see the notes Do, Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, Si, click on the “latin notation” button, your can also choose empty notion to see the open chords.
Regarding the black keys, they correspond to the notes followed by a sharp (#) or a flat (b). Depending on the song you want to play, you will see on your score, sharps or flats. Click on the “sharp” or “flat” button, according to your needs.
Here is a small diagram to help you, on the central part of the keyboard.
There are essential benchmarks for beginners:
- C D E F G A B : played from left to right, playing the white keys,
- Visualize the group of two black keys: the white note just to the left of this group is the C,
- The middle of the keyboard. There are many keys? Do not panic: start as indicated here, to play in the middle of the piano (E in black).
We remind you that we provide piano lessons for beginners if needed.
Playing easy things on the piano & composing
To play, just click on the screen, on the keys you want to play, as if it were a real piano. You can play multiple notes at once and make chords. You can move on the keyboard, and so go down in the bass by going to the left, or climb in the treble by going to the right, by clicking on the arrows above the keyboard.
Our online keyboard also serves to:
- Recognize the sound of the notes. The main tool of the musician is his/her ear, well before the eyes or the fingers … Enjoy every moment to work your ear, and get rid of reading partitions, automatic sentences in the fingers…
- Look for melodies that you have in mind. Enjoy every free moment to work as a game: instead of looking for sheet music and music notes that you like, try to find them for yourself. This is what will make you a musician, developing your listening, your benchmarks on the piano, and a catalog of music that will accompany you everywhere …
- Create small melodies, your compositions. Try combinations of notes to create your own music. Two axes to start:
- Try to create an air in your head, at best to sing it, then to reproduce it on the keyboard,
- Try to create directly on the keyboard. For that, think of the field of possibilities: to repeat certain notes, to repeat certain sequences of notes, not to play all the time and let the music breathe (leave the place to the silence),. Also think that it is not the number of notes and the speed that make the most beautiful music.
Tuning your instrument
The virtual piano is useful for tuning a large number of instruments. Even guitarists who do not have a guitar tuner can use it. But it is especially useful for wind instruments: it will give you the right note, which is the one you must obtain by playing the note of the same name on your instrument.
If you get the same rating, you are granted! If you have a different note, you will need to adjust it to the same note, after reading the following tips:
This online piano is convenient to tune any type of instrument. To tune your instrument, it is important, however, to:
- Know the notes on which to tuned.
In the orchestra, the reference note is usually the note A (La in latin notation). It is this note that serves as a tuning fork, on a frequency of 440Hz. In case: to find the La on the keyboard, you take a group of 3 black keys, most commonly the one in the middle and right of you in the middle of the keyboard, and you press the white key that is right to the left of the rightmost black key. If it is common to use this note to tune, you can agree on any note of course.
Many instruments require only a general tuning, that is to say that by giving a single note, the whole instrument fits: the brass pull on a slide, the reeds adjust their beaks … For strings, it will adjust each string. They should therefore know on which note to grant each string. To help you, we have provided specific tuners for guitar, bass, violin, ukulele, standard tuning …
- Know the range of your instrument
Warning: a A on a piano is not necessarily a A on your instrument. It sounds absurd, but it’s very important to know that. You must know the range of your instrument, and possibly “transpose”:
If your instrument is in “C”, like pianos, or if you sing, you do not have this problem. On the other hand if your instrument is “in B flat”, it is necessary to understand: “When I play a C, we hear a B flat”. From there, it makes sense …
To play the same note as the piano, a Bb trumpet player will have to play … a B flat.
To play the same note as the piano, a saxophonist Eb will play… a F: “I play a C so I hear a Eb”, 3 semitones above, so to hear a A I must play 3 semitones underneath, a F …
Singers need support when they practice. Unlike instruments, you can not “tune” your voice from time to time, but you have to be careful about its accuracy. We can not agree on a single note, because it is up to you to find the right intervals between each note, with the voice.
To work on a song, it is therefore recommended to work with a keyboard, by simply playing on the keyboard notes that you must sing. If there are too many notes, or if you do not have the possibility to play piano and sing at the same time, you can ask someone to play the keyboard, or find only some benchmarks to support you. Also remember that even the best musicians work slowly!
Check the accuracy of a piano or keyboard
If digital pianos do not “move” and do not require re-tuning, acoustic pianos must be tuned regularly. The frequency of tuning depends on many factors: the place where your piano is located (temperature changes, degree of humidity), the manufacture and the age of your piano, and the use that you make of it too.
If you have a doubt about the accuracy of your piano, before contacting a tuner, just compare the notes of your instrument with those of this online piano.
Warning: all digital keyboards, even among major brands like Yamaha, Roland, North, are not necessarily granted in 440Hz. Pay attention to the purchase, or refer to the manual instruction if necessary. To play in a group, it is better to be in 440Hz.